Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fitting the Pieces Together

Now that I possess a deeper understanding of the various learning theories and styles I would say I been have functioning within in a “Connective” learning environment.
…connectivism is that we're dealing with complex environments that are systems-based. And that means that it's not just the individual learner that's the key consideration, which often is with traditional learning theories, but it's actually the broader environment in which we are situated, and the complex nature of that environment needs to be considered as well. (Siemens, 2010)

Until this point I thought I was drawn to visual aspects of learning because I developed my own process to breakdown difficult material in order to see patterns and connections. However, I now view that dissection of information as a means to comprehend the overall profile of the material I was trying to learn. I have been unintentionally drawing from cognitive, constructional, and social learning theories by using professional networks and organizations. As well as having conversations with fellows students, associates, and other members of my academic community.

This natural tendency to form communities within communities has reinforced my belief no one can learn and exist in one specific learning environment by following one theory.

I also believe my artistic natural forces me to overlap the methods, in which I learn because depending on the substrate and technology (or lack of technology) available I am at times forced to rethink how I created or achieve the final product. Self-direction, self-regulation, information processing, problem solving, and modeling principles all intermingle in the course of designing,

I work in the Technology field and deal with technical concepts so obviously it plays a key role; however, working with computers and other electronic devices forces individuals to also develop planning strategies in order to take simple task and convert them into complex systems for teaching or learning.

Design-Based Research is a lens or set of analytical techniques that balances the positivist and interpretivist paradigms and attempts to bridge theory and practice in education. A blend of empirical educational research with the theory-driven design of learning environments, DBR is an important methodology for understanding how, when, and why educational innovations work in practice; DBR methods aim to uncover the relationships between educational theory, designed artefact, and practice. (Learning-Theories.com, 2008)

While working in design in any capacity, individuals need to be able to begin with the small details and form connections to transition into or build more complicated or complex materials.

References

Learning-Theories.com. (2008). Design-Based Research Methods (DBR). Retrieved from http://www.learning-theories.com/design-based-research-methods.html

Siemens, G. (2010). Connectivism. [Video]. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=4118625&Survey=1&47=3899999&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers